About Dr. Alice
- Naturopathic doctor (ND)
- Licensed massage therapist (LMT)
- Certified hypnotherapist (CHt)
My name is Alice Fong and I am a naturopathic doctor. However, I am much more than just a doctor. I use an integrative approach to health and wellbeing. Good health, in my opinion, is not just a lack of physical symptoms. Having love and happiness for yourself and for your life are important factors. I look at the psychological and spiritual components also. I view my role as a wellness coach; someone who educates, inspires, motivates, and encourages people to live life to their fullest potential. I believe in offering a safe, friendly, nonjudgemental space for all individuals, including the LBGT community.
I primarily specialize in: anxiety, stress, fatigue, digestive problems/IBS, diabetes, high blood pressure and cholesterol, food allergies, weight issues, and thyroid/adrenal problems. However, I work with patients with a wide array of medical concerns. The current medical model in healthcare is a retroactive, passive approach focused on the disease and drugs to mask the symptoms. My naturopathic approach is a proactive, health-oriented one. Rather than focusing solely on the disease, I focus on optimizing your health. My model is not about ‘fixing’ it, it’s about why you got the disease in the first place. It is not about managing the condition, but identifying the factors in your life that made you susceptible to acquiring the condition. You will need to be actively engaged in your own health and wellbeing if you want to see me. I'm willing to work with you at a pace you feel comfortable with, whether that means slow baby steps or if you are ready to dive all in, I'll give you a fairly extensive treatment plan so you can start feeling better sooner. One of the most important foundations of health is NUTRITION, so if you are not already eating clean, please expect some nutritional changes to be part of the plan. On my intake form, one of the questions asks, "What is your present level of commitment to address any underlying causes of your signs and symptoms that relate to your lifestyle? (Rate from 0 to 10, 10 being 100% committed). For example, if I recommend changing what you eat, how likely will you do it?" If you are NOT at least a 7 or higher, then it might be best for you to save your money and wait until you are ready to commit more.
I also strongly believe that the mind-body connection is an essential component of health. Mental and emotional wellbeing can contribute to one’s physical health, and vice versa. I help people develop more awareness of their minds and bodies to give them the power to heal themselves. My goal is to help you be the best that you can be at whatever stage of healing you are at. In addition, I want to help you accept that this is a process which comes with challenges and frustrations that may get in way of being able to love yourself. In facing those challenges however, can we grow, develop, and heal ourselves. Self-healing doesn’t occur overnight, it is a lifelong journey.
Stress is a major component of nearly everyone’s life, but it is often disregarded or not handled as well as it could be. Numerous studies have shown that prolonged stress can have a negative impact on person’s physical health and mental and emotional wellbeing. Signs can include, but are not limited to: fatigue, depression, anxiety, pain, decreased immune function, high blood pressure, and insomnia. Perhaps we cannot always change the stressors that come up in our lives, but we CAN change the way we respond to stress. And my job is to show you how you can handle your stress better using a wide variety of tools, such as: teaching you to train your body to relax more naturally when you need (using biofeedback), or talking you into a relaxed peaceful state and giving you the motivation and confidence to achieve your goals (using hypnotherapy), or physically relieving and/or eliminating the stress your body carries (using massage). There IS a different way you can live, let me show you how.
How my journey as a naturopath began:
I wanted to do naturopathic medicine before I even knew that naturopathic medicine existed. When I was teenager, I had a strong interest in plants and I cultivated my own garden of herbs and vegetables in my parents backyard. In the summer of 2002, I attended an herb festival in my hometown and met my first naturopathic doctor. I was overly excited to hear about what he did, and when I went home that day, I eagerly researched everything I could on naturopathic medicine and found out about Bastyr University, one of the leading naturopathic medical schools in research. From that moment on, at the tender age of 17, I knew what I wanted to do with my life.
I was incredibly fortunate to have figured out my path as a healer early on because it helped me pave the path to becoming a doctor. I knew I wanted to study naturopathic medicine even before I knew what my major would be in college. Luckily, I choose a major that complemented my goals - psychology. I believe that health of the mind and being able to understand people is a critical component of healthcare. The mind-body-spirit connection is a part of holistic medicine. At Bastyr, I was able to further expand my knowledge on this process with counseling and biofeedback training. I also studied hypnotherapy with MaryLee Labay, which complemented my counseling interests. In addition, I attended a few meditation retreats for my own self-growth and healing process, as well as being able to incorporate into my future medical practice.
After attaining my undergraduate degree in psychology and completing my pre-med requirements, I went on to receive my massage license and found the value of physical medicine. In 2008, I started my naturopathic medical program which involved hundreds of hours in the classroom, studying, working on assignments and papers, clinical training, and working with patients. This journey has been almost 10 years in the making and it did involve a significant amount of blood, sweat and tears (the blood mostly being from my second year of med school, when we learned how to do blood draws and run tests on each other...for an entire year). Looking back now, at the hardships and challenges I’ve had to endure over the years to get where I am, I would not change a thing. I love what I do and where I am in my life. I am excited to help people get better and help support them on their healing journeys.
- N.D., Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA
- L.M.P.,Cortiva Institute Brenneke School of Massage, Seattle, WA
- B.A. in Psychology, University of Puget Sound, Tacoma, WA
- A.A. in General Liberal Arts & Sciences, Santa Rosa Junior College, Santa Rosa, CA
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians
- Maryland Naturopathic Doctors Association
- Calvert County Chamber of Commerce
- International Hypnotherapy Association
- Calvert Toastmasters
Specialized Clinical Training at Bastyr Center for Natural Health (teaching clinic in Seattle):
- IV Therapy shift with Dr. Gonzalez
- Diabetes and Cardiovascular Health shift with Dr. Bradley
- Biofeedback shifts with Dr. Zucker and Dr. Lichtenstein (3 quarters)
- Immune Wellness Care shifts (HIV patients) with Dr. Milkis (2 quarters)
- Chronic Pain Management shift with Dr. Bosted
- Ballard Senior Center with Dr. Dodge
Additional Seminars, Conferences, and Workshops Attended:
- Landmark Forum, Alexandria, VA
- Integrative SIBO Conference, Chicago, IL
- Integrative Healthcare Symposium, New York City, NY
- American Association of Naturopathic Physicians Annual Convention, Bellevue, WA
- Autonomic Response Testing, Dr. Klinghardt, Seattle, WA
- Turbo Kick Instructor training, Bonney Lake, WA
- Hypnotherapy, Dr. LaBay, Kenmore, WA
- HIV/AIDs Care Training, Dr. Milkis, Seattle, WA
- Diabetes Management Conference, Swedish Medical Center, Seattle, WA
- Visual Homeopathy and Emotional Freedom Technique, Dr. Sharif, Whole Health Clinic, Kent, WA
- Women’s Health Seminar, Metagenics, Seattle, WA
- Kapala 1 Training (Feeding Your Demons Meditation Retreat), Tara Mandala, Pagosa Springs, CO
- Visceral Manipulation 1, Dr. Yasuda, Kenmore, WA
- Nutritional Medicine Conference, Drs. Jonathan Wright and Alan Gaby, SeaTac, WA
- WANP Conference, Boomers or Bust: Common Conditions in the 50+ Population, Kenmore, WA
- Neural Therapy 1 and 2, Dr. Harris, Seattle, WA
- Intensive Meditation Retreat, The Movement Center, Portland, OR
- Health of Business, Business of Health seminars, Dr. Thom & Andy Belanger, Kenmore, WA
Preceptorships (Observing, assisting and performing medical care with licensed health care professionals):
- Jeff Harris, ND. IV/injection therapies including neural therapy and neuroprolotherapy, autonomic response testing, detoxification. Seattle, WA.
- Serena McKenzie, ND. Balancing Health. Women’s health, primary care, sexual medicine. Bothell, WA.
- Fran Pinault, ND, LAc, MS. Shoreline Natural Medicine Clinic. Weight loss, menopause, acupuncture, hormone balancing. Shoreline, WA.
- Zora Pesio, RNC, ARNP, MSN. Woodinville Women’s Clinic. Women’s health, screening exams, hormone balancing, weight loss. Woodinville, WA.
- Margie Ikeda, ND. Vital Family Medicine. IV therapy, detoxification, autism spectrum care. Seattle, WA.
- Kim Kelly, ND, MSN. Naturopath Encinitas. Biopuncture, detoxification, hormonal balancing, IV therapy. Encinitas, CA.
- Moses Goldberg, ND. Integrative Medical Clinic. Family medicine, herbal medicine, IV therapy. Santa Rosa, CA.
Past Work Experience:
- Owner, Naturopathic Physician, Massage Therapist, Amour de Soi Wellness and Spa, Seattle, WA
- Naturopathic Physician, Bellevue Center for Health, Bellevue WA
- Naturopathic Physician and Massage Therapist, Serenity Spa and Natural Health Clinic, Tacoma, WA
- Massage Therapist, Four Seasons, Seattle, WA
- Massage Therapist, Yuan Spa, Bellevue, WA
- Massage Therapist, Olympus Spa, Lynnwood, WA
- Massage Therapist, Ananya Spa, Seattle, WA
- Massage Therapist, Bella Fiore Organic Med Spa, Seattle, WA
- Student Representative, Meridian Valley Lab, Renton, WA
- Tutor, Teaching Assistant, Bastyr University, Kenmore, WA. (Anatomy lab, clinical lab diagnosis lab, medical procedures, gynecology lab, neural therapy, manipulation 3, clinical ecology).
- Sole Proprietor, Wonderland Massage, Seattle, WA.
- Massage Therapist, Whole Health Chiropractic, Shoreline, WA
- Figuring Out Food Allergies, Calvert Natural Medicine, April 2017
- Resuscitate Your Health, Stand Out Embrace Your Possibilities - Women's Empowerment Conference, Dream Queen Association, March 2017
- Mind-body Medicine: Self-Care and Stress Management for Healthcare Providers, Calvert County Health Department, 3.5 CEU approved by the University of Maryland, May 2016
- Natural Weight Loss Seminar, Jacqueline Morgan Day Spa, April 2016; Calvert Natural Medicine, October, 2016, January 2017
- Ultimate Stress Management Seminar, Amour de Soi Wellness and Spa, January, March, May, 2014, Feb 2015, Jacqueline Morgan Day Spa, October 2016, Calvert Natural Medicine, November 2016
- Death Cafe, October 2016, January, May 2017
- Teaching assistant, Neural Therapy workshops
- Doula at 4 births, Seattle, WA
- AmeriCorps Volunteer, City Year, Seattle, WA. (Mentoring and tutoring suspended middle school children).
- Volunteer for United Against Sexual Assault of Sonoma County
More about Dr. Alice:
I was born and raised in Northern California. I grew up as a competitive swimmer for 8 years and swam throughout high school (MVP all 4 years). Other interests I had growing up included gardening, journalism and photography. I started learning partner dancing my senior year of high school and since then dance has become a major passion of mine. I started with swing dancing, and went on to learn many other forms of dance such as salsa, ballroom and tango, as well as non-partner dances such as hip hop, jazz, and modern. I’m always enthusiastic about learning new forms of dance, and just like in life and in medicine, there is always more to learn. I was president and instructor for my swing dance club at my undergraduate college, and I was the founder and president of the dance club at Bastyr University. Other hobbies I’ve accumulated over the years include yoga, healthy cooking, turbo kickboxing, crossfit, and scuba diving. I also serve as President of Calvert Toastmasters, a club focused on improving public speaking skills. After going through the home buying process with my other half and watching a lot of home makeover shows on HGTV, we both decided to become Realtors as a fun side business. So if you are looking for a home, or know of someone who needs help with this progress, or looking to sell your home, we are happy to help. I will without a doubt acquire more interests and hobbies over the years ahead. I will always be a student of life...eager to learn more. As my physiology professor would say, “Life is cumulative.”